Compared to the free version of OMGF, OMGF Pro comes packed with several advanced features, allowing you to improve your WordPress site’s Google Fonts implementation.
Increase GDPR Compliance
If you’re loading fonts directly from Google’s servers, their logging the IP addresses of all your visitors.
In fact, on January 20th, 2022, a German court ruled that loading Google Fonts from their server is in breach of GDPR, because it exposes unnecessary personal data to a US based company.
To keep using Google Fonts, you need to host them locally. There is no alternative.
Fortunately, OMGF Pro does exactly that. 🙂
OMGF Pro complements the free version of OMGF with advanced detection schemes:
To keep using Google Fonts, you need to host them [on your server]. There is no alternative.
- Webfont Loader or,
@font-facestatements embedded in CSS files,
- Google’s Early Access API, etc.
- Basically, anything! This includes Material Icons, Material Symbols and resource hints, i.e.
- Define a Fallback Font Stack: Reduce Cumulative Layout Shift by properly implementing font-display swapping and defining a (stack of) fallback font-families for each of your fonts,
- Easily replace unwanted Google Fonts with a System Font of your choice,
- Ensure text remains visible during webfont load by forcing the font-display (swap) attribute throughout all your stylesheets and @font-face statements,
- Preload fonts: easily preload key requests from within the Management panel.
Reduce Fonts Bloat
OMGF Pro goes beyond locally hosting Google Fonts and provides you with tools to Reduce bloat caused by other plugins and themes:
- Easily unload font-styles (e.g. italics) and/or font-weights (e.g. bold) you don’t use,
- Define which subsets should be loaded for all fonts throughout your WordPress configuration. This can reduce the size of your Google Fonts stylesheets by ~90% for the most popular fonts!